Town Of Farmington
Farmington was established in 1788 and was named after Oliver Phelps hometown in Connecticut. The land stretched north to Sodus Bay, east to the Preemption line, west to the Genesee River and south about 60 miles north of the Pennsylvania border. The first sale of land made from the Phelps and Gorham tract was to American Revolution veterans, patriots of the War and members of the Society of Friends (Quaker) faith. Most were from the Berkshire county in Massachusetts. Township No.11, range 3, of the great tract, is today's Farmington.
Their purchase embraced land in parts of southern Wayne county (Macedon Center and Palmyra) and the area of Bert, Township 12, range 2 (later known as the Town of Manchester). The first town meeting was held in 1797 at Nathan Aldrich's home. From 1800 to 1821, the two government bodies from range 2 and 3 met in a tavern located on State Street in Manchester. Until incorporation, the two towns worked together to lay out the school and road infrastructures for not only their own towns but those roads leading into Phelpstown, Palmyra and Macedon Center. Beginning in 1821, townships officially incorporated and town borders were set off.
During the time that early settlers were formulating official townships and its government, the Society of Friends (Quakers within the northwest quadrant of range 3) and the early Baptists pioneers established churches of their own faith. Both churches hold services today. When the two townships incorporated, the Quaker church became the single most influential diety to Farmington's historical image.
Office Hours Tuesday 10 am - 2 pm, other days by appointment only
(Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) Facebook: Farmington Town Historian
We are adding to archival information continually. Available to researchers and the public includes the following:
Material and Resources: